The very existence of transgender people proves that transgender identities are real.
If you belong to those who love fixed gender roles and who get scared when someone question the binary, you have probably made one of the following arguments when addressing transgender people and "strange" gender identities:
- The gender identities of transgender people are not real!
- It is all in their mind!
- Gender identity is the same as biological sex – which means gonads, genitalia or chromosomes!
- Show me the science!
- If there was a simple and persistent one to one relationship between gonads and gender identity there would be no transgender people.
- If the XY chromosome was the basis for a male gender identity there would be no transgender women.
- If ovaries ensured the development of a female gender identity there would be no trans men.