The term "girlfag" is a controversial one. It was coined in a time when the gay male community made use of the word "fag hag" (a cis, straight, woman who liked to be around gay men), so one section of the larger LGBTQA community decided to coin the term "girlfag" for those assigned female who felt some kind of erotic or romantic affinity to gay male men.
|Janet Hardy has written the book Girlfag, A Life Told in Sex and Musicals|
The parallel male to female term is "guydyke". None of the terms have aged well, but the feelings and the identities of those behind them are as real as ever.
In fantasies, art and fiction girlfags will identify with gay men who love gay men (like in yaoi and slash fiction and comics) Many girlfags look at themselves as cisgender straight women for whom these fantasies as a natural part of their gender-crossing sexuality. At the other end of the spectrum, you will find gay transgender men.
Here are some of the posts on Trans Express that cover this topic.
- Girlfags and Crossdreamers...huh? (FAQ)
- The Wonderful and Confusing World of Girlfags and Guydykes (May 2015)
- The “Sissy Boy” Experiment (November 2014)
- A defense of the girlfag term (August 2014)
- On girlfags, gay men and fetishes (June 2014)
- Girlfag on what it means to be genderqueer (June 2014)
- Janet Hardy's reflections on girlfags (June 2014)
- The problem with autogynephilia (June 2014)
- Crossdressers as transgender (June 2014)
- The girlfag debate continues (June 2014)
- Why the words girlfag and guydykes are not slurs (May 2014)
- The Girlfag and Gudyke Pledge (May 2014)
- My definitions of girlfag and truscum (May 2014)
- The invalidation of trans people continues parts 2 and 3
- Crossdreaming: Its Transphobic Roots, and Current Transphobic, Cissexist Content (Feb 2014)
- Do you know what a girlfag is? Really? (Feb 2014)
- On the girlfag and guydyke issue (Dec 2013)
- Girfags, crossdreamers and trans men (Dec 2013)
- On the invalidation of trans people (including girlfags and guydykes) (Dec 2013)
- Stop the Harassment of Girlfags! (Nov 2013) (continues here!)
- Lou Sullivan, Pioneer FTM Trans-activist and Girlfag (Nov 2013)
On this site see:
The Yaoi Culture and the Female to Male Crossdreamers
OTHER TRANS EXPRESS TOPICS